Summary of Changes for 2019 Year 12 HSC
Year 12 Board Developed Courses for English, Mathematics Standard, Science and History
Teaching of Year 12 courses using the new (2017) Stage 6 Board Developed Course syllabuses for English, Mathematics Standard, Science and History commenced Term 4, 2018.
New school-based assessment requirements for all Year 12 Board Developed Courses
New school-based assessment requirements for all Year 12 Board Developed Courses (excluding VET and Life Skills courses) commenced Term 4, 2018.
- must follow the mandatory Year 12 components and weightings outlined in the course Assessment and Reporting document
- must be capped at four tasks
- may only include one formal written examination task.
For all Stage 6 Board Developed Courses, see the Assessment and Examination Materials section of the syllabus page on the NESA website for the Assessment and Reporting document and other support materials.
Year 12 English Studies and Mathematics Standard 1 courses
From 2019 grades will be used to report student achievement in school-based assessment for the Year 12 English Studies and Mathematics Standard 1 courses on NESA credentials.
- Teachers must use new English Studies Achievement Level Descriptionsand Mathematics Standard 1 Achievement Level Descriptionsto award grades.
- For grade monitoring purposes, at the end of the course, schools must upload Year 12 student work samples in Schools Online.
From 2019 there will be optional HSC examinations for English Studies and Mathematics Standard 1.
- Schools must enter students separately for an optional HSC examination on Schools Online.
- Schools must submit an estimated examination mark for all students entered for an optional HSC examination.
- Students studying English Studies and seeking an ATAR must sit the optional HSC examination as the Universities Admission Centre (UAC) requires the ATAR to be calculated using at least two units of English.
- Students can sit the optional HSC examinations in both English Studies and Mathematics Standard 1 but in this case only the English Studies examination will contribute to ATAR.
See the English Studies Stage 6 syllabus page on the NESA website for the English Studies course description, updated Assessment and Reporting document and additional support materials.
See the Mathematics Standard Stage 6 syllabus page on the NESA website for the Mathematics Standard course description, updated Assessment and Reporting document and additional support materials.
Year 12 Science pattern and pathways of study
A change to the HSC pattern of study and pathways requirements for Science applies to Year 12 students from Term 4, 2018.
2019 HSC onwards
- A student may count a maximum of seven Year 12 (HSC) units from science courses in the Year 12 (HSC) study pattern.
- The new Year 12 (HSC) Science Extension course is available for study commencing Term 4, 2018.
- Students who have shown an achievement in and/or aptitude for any of the new Stage 6 Science courses (Biology, Chemistry, Earth & Environmental Science, Investigating Science or Physics) in Year 11 may choose to study Science Extension in Year 12.
- The Investigating Science Stage 6 course may be studied as a stand-alone course or in combination with any other science course(s).
See the course descriptions and syllabuses on the Science Stage 6 page on the NESA website.