Guidelines for student appeals against assessment rankings in HSC courses: student evidence and principal’s report on appeal
Last Updated: 7 May 2018
Student’s evidence and reasons for appeal
Relevant evidence might include information about:
- the school’s stated assessment program
- the assessment program as actually implemented
- feedback given to the student about his or her performance in assessment tasks
- the adequacy of the procedures used in the school review
- the propriety with which it was conducted.
Students are not to submit assessment tasks or claims about the marking of assessment tasks, as these are not subject to review or appeal.
Principal’s report on assessment appeal
Relevant evidence might include:
- whether the review panel considered that the weightings specified by the school in its assessment program conformed with NSW Education Standard Authority (NESA) requirements as detailed in the syllabus packages
- whether the panel considered that the procedures used by the school for determining the final assessment mark conformed with its stated assessment program and, in particular, whether the weightings used for the various assessment tasks are consistent with those specified in the assessment program
- whether the panel considered that no computational or other clerical errors occurred in the determination of the assessment mark
- the number of members of the review panel who:
- were directly involved with the course, including the preparation of the assessments
- were not directly involved
- the information given to students about the required assessment tasks including a copy of the weightings given to each task in the course
- the information given to the student about his or her performance in assessment tasks in this course
- the written and/or verbal information given to the student about the school review of the assessment
- the written and/or verbal information given to the student about the outcome of the school review:
- a copy of the relevant parts of the school assessment policy
- the other comments.