A NSW Government website
Assessment Certification Examination (ACE)
NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA)

Types of student application for credit transfer and recognition of prior learning

ACE 8106

Last Updated: 1 April 2019

Re-entry students

NESA's credit transfer and RPL provisions may apply to individual students re-entering the education system after a period of absence. These students may come to their Higher School Certificate program with knowledge, understanding and skills gained through formal education or training programs in Australia or overseas and/or from informal learning contexts such as work and life experience. These students can seek recognition for formal/non-formal study undertaken within the previous five years and/or for informal learning.

Students proceeding directly from Year 10 or equivalent

In general, NESA will not approve credit transfer or RPL from a course that has been credentialled as part of the student’s Stage 5 pattern of study, or as part of a credential at a similar level in another school system interstate or overseas. Syllabuses are designed by NESA (and similar agencies in other school systems) to be appropriate to the particular stage of learning. An exception to this general principle may apply in some instances in relation to vocational education and training (VET) courses.

Students entering or re-entering the NSW school system during Year 11 or 12 from interstate or overseas

In cases of students transferring from a school interstate or overseas, principals may determine whether students may enter Preliminary or HSC courses and assess the extent of their relevant prior learning.

Students independently undertaking a course in TAFE or with another Registered Training Organisation (RTO) concurrently with their Higher School Certificate courses

Students undertaking a vocational education and training course independently may seek to have the course contribute towards their Higher School Certificate. In these cases, credit will not be granted until there is evidence that the course, or a defined stage of the course that is equivalent to a Board Developed or Endorsed course of 120 indicative hours or longer, has been certified by an RTO as satisfactorily completed.