‘N’ determinations – warnings of non-completion of course requirements
Last Updated: 27 February 2013
If at any time it appears that a student is at risk of receiving an ‘N’ determination (non-completion of course requirements) in any course, the principal must:
- advise the student of the tasks or actions to be undertaken in time for the problem to be corrected and alert the student to the possible consequences of an ‘N’ determination;
- advise the parent or guardian in writing (if the student is under the age of 18);
- request from the student/parent/guardian a written acknowledgement of the warning;
- issue at least one follow-up warning letter if the first letter is not effective; and
- retain copies of all relevant documents.
It is strongly recommended that written warnings are issued as soon as possible and regularly where required.
Schools are able to download sample warning letters through Schools Online.