Student appeals against assessment rankings in HSC courses - appeals to BOSTES
Last Updated: 15 September 2015
Where possible, all reviews will be resolved within the school. However, provision has been made for subsequent appeals to BOSTES. There is no provision for appeal against the marks awarded for individual assessment tasks.
BOSTES will consider only whether:
- the school review process was adequate for determining whether:
- the weightings specified by the school in its assessment program conform with BOSTES requirements as detailed in the syllabus packages
- the procedures used by the school for determining the final assessment mark conform with its stated assessment program – in particular, the weightings used for the various assessment tasks should be consistent with those specified in the assessment program
- there are no computational or other clerical errors in the determination of the assessment mark.
- the conduct of the review was proper in all respects.
Since the appeal is directed to the assessment process, BOSTES will not itself revise assessment marks or the order of merit.
If the appeal is upheld, BOSTES will refer the matter back to the school for a further review. The results of that review may affect the assessment of the student making the appeal and/or the assessments of other students. This may then be reflected in the moderated assessment marks for all students so affected.
BOSTES will not consider further appeals from other students whose assessments or ranking may be affected by reviews or appeals. The reason is that, although initiated by individual students, the reviews and appeals relate to the assessment process and are designed to correct any errors affecting the assessments for the entire school group.
Submission to BOSTES
Appeals to BOSTES should be submitted by the date shown in the Higher School Certificate Events Timetable. These appeals should be submitted through the school on the appropriate form with their review return.
Appeals submitted after the release of results will not be considered by BOSTES unless there are exceptional circumstances